So what is social media actually worth? Customers who engage with companies via social media tend to spend 20% to 40% more money. The following is a compilation of interesting statistics and tips about social media and customer service.
How many consumers rely on social media for support?
- 71% of 16-64 year olds use the Internet to find solutions to product inquiries
- Over half of all social users actively engage with brands several times per month (9% of social users engage with brands daily)
- 47% of consumers have used social media for customer support in the past
Social Media User Expectations
- 71% of online customers expect to receive assistance within 5 minutes of reaching out to a company.
- Over 50% of Facebook users expect a response within a day or less
- 42% of Twitter users expect a response within an hour
- 70% of users assisted via social media return as customers in the future
What does this mean for my business?
USE IT! 73% of companies claim that one of the main reasons to engage in social media is for customer service.
How to best utilize social media
- Outline communication guidelines for user-generated content
- Enable users to post comments
- Include hours of operation (including after-hour support) on your profile
- Provide links to your company website and other communication channels
- Stay active and respond quickly to users.
- For matters that require a more personal response, always use private messaging.
- Last but not least, have a personal approach to all social media communication. Portray your company's personality and include a personal signature from customer service representatives when appropriate.
by Samantha Warner