How much will consumers be spending?
- 54% of Americans will celebrate with loved ones, compared to 60% in 2013.
- The average person plans to spend $133.91 on candy, cards, gifts, dinner and more (compared to $130.97 last year)
- Total spending is expected to reach $17.3 billion
- On average, men will spend $108.38 on significant others
- On average, women will spend $49.41 on significant others
- Consumers don't just buy for significant others - 59.41% buy for family members, friends (21.7%), teachers (20.4%), and colleagues (12.1%) and pets (19.4%).
What are consumers buying?
- 48.7% will buy candy
- 37.3% will buy flowers
- 51.2% will send greeting cards
- 19% will buy jewelry
- Practical gifts such as clothing (15.8%) or gift cards (14%)
Where will consumers shop this year?
- 26.1% of consumers do their research and plan to purchase gifts online this year
- 24% will research products on a smartphone and 32.2% on a tablet
Take a look at the original article from the National Retail Federation:
by Samantha Warner